Ok- so it’s Tuesday night and we all know what’s for dinner : TACOS! These recipe is so easy, nutritious, and filled with flavor that will make you forget about meat all together!
– 2 cloves of minced garlic
– 1/2 a sweet onion (chopped)
– 1 bell pepper cut into strips
– 1 cup of sliced portobello mushrooms
– 1 can of black beans (drained and rinsed)
– 1 can of corn (can use frozen too!)
– 1 package of corn or flour tortillas ( I use a mixture of hard and soft shells
– 1 small diced jalapeno (not needed if you prefer a milder heat)
– 1 tsp of cumin
– 1 tsp o coriander
– 1 tsp of chili powder
– salt and pepper to taste
– any preferred taco toppings
In a large skillet, on medium/high heat, add 1 tbs of extra virgin olive oil. When oil is heated add in your garlic and onions. (Allowing for at least 10 seconds to soak up the decadent smell that comes from this step alone!) The garlic and onions will begin to become translucent, at this time add your peppers. Saute the peppers, onions, and garlic for about 1-2 minutes. Then add mushrooms and continue to cook down your veggies. When the mushrooms have browned add your cumin, coriander, chili powder, and salt/pepper. (If you salt veggies before they cook you will slow down the cooking process and it will take much longer for them to absorb the flavors.) The veggies should only take about 7-9 minutes to fully cook. When completed you can cover your skillet and turn the heat off.
In a small pan/skillet, on medium/low heat, add 1 tsp of olive oil. Because I love me some heat, I add 1 small jalapeno diced with seeds included for a real kick! Then add your can of black beans and your can of corn. I like to marry all of my flavors together by putting in a tsp of cumin into this mixture as well! Once beans, corn, and jalapeno are heated you can cover and turn the heat off.
Whether or not you use soft or hard taco shells, I always suggest you warm them up. So, you can pop the hard corn tacos into the oven at about 325 for 10 minutes. For soft tacos, I place them in a towel and microwave for about 1 minute.
Taco toppings are totally up to you! However I always have:
– a bowl of grated cheese (dairy or dairy free)
– fresh chopped cilantro
– 2-3 chopped tomatoes
– a small container of plain non-fat greek yogurt (or sour cream)
– Cholula Hot Sauce or your favorite hot sauce
– 2 large ripe avocados chopped or blended
I cannot say enough about these veggie tacos. I know you will be going back for seconds (and thirds…) without feeling any ounce of guilt. These tacos are so healthy yet so satisfying.
I hope this brings some extra fun to your tuesday night!