I based this recipe off of Food52‘s at https://food52.com/recipes/27376-vegan-cashew-mac-cheese. However, I made a few alterations and additions!
– 1 cup of soaked raw cashews
– 1 tbs of tomato paste
– 1/4 cup of water
– 2 heaping tbs of Braggs nutritional yeast
– 1/2 lemon juiced
– 1 tsp of salt
– 1/2 tsp of turmeric
– 1/4 tsp of black pepper
– 1 tsp of extra virgin olive oil
– 1 lb of directed gluten free elbows (cooked as directed by package)
– 2 sliced links of Field Roast Grain Meat apple & sage vegan sausage
– 1/2 of a chopped bell pepper
– 2 large cloves of garlic minced
In a blender of food processor, blend drained and soaked cashews with tomato paste, water, lemon juice, nutritional yeast, salt, turmeric, pepper, and olive oil. Then set aside.
In a small skillet on medium/high heat, add 1 tbs of olive oil. When heated add, minced garlic and bell peppers. After 2 minutes, add sliced links of vegan sausage. Cook sausage for 2 minutes on each side or until brown. Then turn the heat off and cover with a lid.
Prepare pasta as directed by the package. When pasta is cooked, al dente, pour pasta into a bowl and stir in sausage and peppers. Then add the cheese mix from the blender and enjoy!
This is one of my favorite recipes to date and I cannot believe just how “cheesy” and decadent this meal is without leaving you feeling heavy and regretful! I cannot wait to make this one again and look forward to all of you making this too!